Tuesday, June 16, 2020

These Bosses...

I debated about this for a while 
Do I say anything or do I just put it off?
And by saying anything I mean write

So I decided to write
I have worked as a media producer in the radio field in the past 
Putting together a show for a host looking up as much information as possible 
Some days I found better things than others 
It was a day to day thing 
I couldn’t control what articles were going to come out in cosmo that the host would be fond of 

The host didn’t understand that 
The host wanted more effort on my behalf and it was my job to supply the demand 
It was a short shift of 4 hours that was 1 hour short of the commute I had to get there
Who in there right mind would do this?
Well a lot of people
See there is this thing about paying your dues and working your way up 
Apparently that’s also interwoven with being underpaid and it’s a known fact that is just accepted 

The employee does this willingly with the hopes to one day move up and do better 
I guess that many things in life are like this 
You take what you can get until you get to where you want to be 

And not all days were bad 
One of the perks was definitely meeting different people that came in for interviews 
A celebrity crush every once in a while with whom a selfie was granted 

Still I would have days in which I would ask myself what am I doing?
How is this helping me?
And then one day, I was let go 
The product of a company cutback 
It hurt a little, but it was for the best 
Because I just wasn’t going anywhere doing what I was doing 

I felt that I was putting in so much effort for someone else that wasn’t me 
And if I had worked on my personal projects the way I did as a producer
Well then things would have been slamming’ 
But I didn’t and the being let go turned out to be a good thing 

But not good enough because apparently I still hadn’t learned 
I was approached by the same host I worked for about 2 years after 
To produce from home and when asked I remember thinking ‘please don’t forget to pay me’ 
However I didn’t say anything 
I should have 
Because the host is as talented as the host is forgetful 

I was forgotten by this host that simply wanted my me to supply the demand 
Forgetting that my work adds a lot of value to her 
And would forget to pay me rather often and the point came in which I had to speak up 
Pointing out that there was a balance due of weeks and that I couldn’t continue to work without getting paid 
Instead of taking a step back to say, you’re right I’m sorry I haven’t been on top of things 
I got a ‘you know how I am all over the place’ 

It made me feel as if I was wrong in asking for that for which I worked for 
It made me question if I should have just kept on producing to be more understanding 
But I wasn’t wrong in doing so 
Another week came and I asked for a follow up payment that never came 
And neither did a message of acknowledgment that it was received 
That my work had any value 

I learned what I tried to hide 
That some people have no personal regard for others 
It’s all about what they can get for themselves
They choose with whom and when they want to communicate because it’s their game 
The ball is in there court and they decide who gets it 

And it sucks 
It really does because sometimes I would make excuses to try and understand 
But in reality, there is no excuse 
Being ignored by a supposed employer for asking that your work is valued 
Is completely wrong 
For the employer to act as if they can’t see or hear you is not ok 
It is not professional and shows disregard for human decency 
But not everyone will see it 

Some just see the limelight and not the shadows
But I’m sure I’m not the only one
Producers know, personal assistants know 
Some bosses are just selfish and inconsiderate 

But only the brave will dare to put on some Lizzo, break out the Coconut Oil 
To walk away from the horrible bosses and run to self love… 


Bionica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ;-)